Simon announces new activation: Simon supports education
Shoppers can give the gift of education at Atlanta-area Simon centers
Monday, May 22, 2017 — Atlanta-area Simon centers are proud to support Simon Youth Foundation (SYF) in its efforts to increase educational opportunities for at-risk students through Simon Supports Education. The movement incorporates several activations at Calhoun Outlet Marketplace, Lenox Square, Mall of Georgia, North Georgia Premium Outlets, Phipps Plaza, Sugarloaf Mills and Town Center at Cobb to engage shoppers in SYF’s mission.
Simon Youth Foundation operates 30 non-traditional high school academies across the country, housed primarily in Simon properties, and also provides a scholarship to one student in every community where there is a Simon property. Since its inception in 1998, SYF has helped more than 14,000 at-risk students receive a high school diploma and has awarded more than $16 million in scholarships.
The following Atlanta-area students, listed by corresponding property, are the 2017 recipients of a SYF scholarship:
- Calhoun Outlet Marketplace
- Gabriel Dixon of Gordon Central High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend Georgetown University
- Trenton McDougal of Gordon Central High School was awarded $500 and plans to attend the University of Georgia
- Lenox Square
- Rahul Varma of South Cobb High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend Dartmouth College
- Mall of Georgia
- Savannah Lengnick of Mill Creek High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend the University of Miami
- North Georgia Premium Outlets
- Hannah Kellar of Dawson County High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend Auburn University
- Phipps Plaza
- Metasebia Bazbhe of South Cobb High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend Boston University
- Sugarloaf Mills
- Afahse Poteh of North Oconee High School was awarded $2,500 and plans to attend Stanford University
- Renee Silva of North Oconee High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Berna Aliya of Brookwood High School was awarded $500 and plans to attend Georgia Institute of Technology
- Town Center at Cobb
- Adebisi Bamidele of South Cobb High School was awarded $1,500 and plans to attend the University of Chicago
“Simon Youth Foundation is a national organization, but we can feel the benefit of its efforts right here at home,” said Carol Cox, area director of marketing and business development at Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. “We are incredibly proud to invite our shoppers to join us in supporting this inspiring organization.”
Select Atlanta-area Simon centers are now offering community members opportunities to support local students, scholarships and academies through the following planned activities and activations:
- Simon Gift Card Purchases: At Lenox Square, Mall of Georgia, North Georgia Premium Outlets, Phipps Plaza and Town Center at Cobb, $1 from every SYF Simon Visa gift card purchase will support scholarship and graduation programs in the community. These eye-catching cards are the perfect gift for every graduate this spring.
- Graduation Stickers: Shoppers at Lenox Square, Mall of Georgia and Phipps Plaza may purchase a sticker as a donation to SYF and place it on a graduation standee to honor and celebrate a recent local graduate.
“Simon Youth Foundation believes that every student deserves the support necessary to earn their high school diploma, and that financial reasons should never be the reason preventing a student from pursuing their dreams,” said Dr. J. Michael Durnil, President and CEO of SYF. “We are thrilled to have the support of our incredible corporate partner, Simon, and their Simon Supports Education movement.”
SYF is a national non-profit that partners with public school districts to open dropout recovery academies inside Simon shopping malls. The organization now has 30 Simon Youth Academies in 12 states. In the organization’s 18-year history, more than 14,000 students have earned their diploma and more than $16 million in scholarships have been awarded. Visit syf.org or follow us on Facebook, Twitter (@simon_youth), or Instagram (@simonyouthfoundation) for updates.
Simon is a global leader in the ownership of premier shopping, dining, entertainment and mixed-use destinations and an S&P 100 company (Simon Property Group, NYSE:SPG). Our properties across North America, Europe, and Asia provide community gathering places for millions of people every day and generate billions in annual sales. For more information, visit simon.com.
BRAVE Public Relations
BRAVE Public Relations